Good Morning Grade 9s (and parents/guardians),
We are so looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday, September 5!
As you prepare for school this fall, here are some of the items you will need:
- A calculator. Math 10-3 studentswill use a scientific calculator available at most drug stores, Walmart, etc. Math 10 Prep studentswill not use a calculator until the end of 1st semester. Math 10C students will need a graphing calculator. Please refer to the attached list to see the Alberta Education approved list for graphing calculators before you purchase one. They are available at The Source, Walmart, Staples, and most electronics stores. They cost around $150, but students will use them throughout three years of high school math and science. Students should record their serial number and somehow mark the calculator with their names. Since we teach with TI software on our Viewsonic boards, students find it easiest to follow along if they also have a TI-83/84/Nspire model. If they chose a calculator from a different manufacturer, they will need to have classroom access to their user manual as the steps on a non-TI calculator can be significantly different to accomplish the same task.
- Binders. We recommend students carry only 1 binder at school (likely a 2" zipper binder) to contain their daily work and pens, pencils, highlighters, etc. We also recommend students have1 binder at home(at least 2") for each subject to which they will transfer units as they are completed. This way students are not jamming their school binder full of all subjects causing organizational issues; as well, all work in each subject area is clearly organized to facilitate studying for final exams.
- Dividers. Students can use these to organize their subjects in their school binder and also to organize their units in their subject binders at home.
- Various pens, pencils, highlighters, erasers, white out, etc. and loose leaf.
- Gym strip for PE and/or Fitness class. Any change of clothing will do - shorts, t-shirts, leggings, sweats - but students MUST change.
- Inside athletic shoes for PE/Fitness.
- Our option classes - Construction, Fabrication, Art, Photography, Foods, Sports Med, etc - all provide the necessary equipment and materials to students. In Fashion Studies, students will need to purchase their own material, but Mrs. Sammons will lead them through that process at the appropriate time.
Enjoy your summer!!
Ms Westgard and Mrs Galandy